Week 41. There’s no current and Bob fixes the SnoTrac

Monday 15 July 1974

Garth and I took the current meter out to the USARP inshore fishing hut for a further trial. Either the current is very slight or the meter is faulty. I am almost sure it is the former. Chris Wilkins is repairing the laboratory air blower and fan motor. This is a long job. Bill Johnson has made another attempt at welding the leaks in the boiler of the heat machine. In the evening Stuart made another attempt to get a full night of records with the photometer but visibility was obscured by blowing snow so he gave it up.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North-North-East 14 knots Temperature -38.7°C

Tuesday 16 July 1974

Bill Johnson, Bob Grant and Mike Wing went to the Shi Chalet to check it out and also to test the overhauled SnoTrac. Bull Johnson spent some time on the roof in freezing conditions clearing all the chimneys. This is a re-occurring task. I pressurised the heat machine boiler but it still leaks.

Chalet

The Chalet

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind Calm Temperature -35.5°C

Wednesday 17 July 1974

The maintenance staff got the LWB Landrover out of the hangar for a check-over. It has a winch and Bob Grant believes it may be a useful over-snow vehicle. I am sure it won’t be as good as the Dodge’s but it will let him find out for himself. Lady is sick. She has been bitten and the wound is infected.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North 15 knots Temperature -39.8°C

Thursday 18 July 1974

Tony Atkinson and Garth Cowan took the current meter to the USARP off shore hut and tried it out with much the same result as Garth and I achieved at the inshore hut. We are making progress with the installation of the incinerator burner. Bill is assembling fittings for the fuel line. Last night when I filled the ice melter the water in the tank must have been at saturation point because it froze solid after I had put in about 200lbs of ice at ambient (say -30ºC). However the heating coil didn’t freeze so no harm done.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North-North-East 15 knots Temperature -34.5°C

Friday 19 July 1974

As I expected the LWB Landrover was not a success on the snow. Its wheels are too small. I spent the day assembling the boiler to the power unit of the heat machine and filling it with carbon dioxide. Against my better judgment, I yielded to Chris Wilkins pleas to fill it from a 15lb vessel rather than several 5lb ones. I had expected that the pressure in the machine and vessel would equalize thus transferring half of the CO2 to the machine (or there abouts). I took the machine outside and let it cool and put the fire extinguisher (the CO2 vessel) in the drying room (Temp +30ºC). Then I carried the extinguisher outside and holding it between my legs like a penguin with an egg, coupled it to the machine. To my surprise when I weighed the extinguisher I found almost all the CO2 had passed into the heat machine. Apparently it cooled almost instantaneously. This is unfortunate as the machine is now full of CO2 with oil floating on top of it. The oil may have ruined the alternator.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North-North-East 20 knots Temperature -36.4°C

Saturday 20 July 1974

Stuart went to Arrival Heights at 0300 hours this morning in yet another attempt to complete his records. Mike Wing is re-handling tools as a break from tent repairs. I rigged a block from the hangar rafters and now have the heat machine in a near vertical position. I have let out some CO2 but have no way of knowing how much.

Lady seems to be better. She is a tough old girl. Stuart has finally been successful in getting a full night of records, albeit spread over more than one night.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind Calm Temperature -42.0°C

Sunday 21 July 1974

Tony Atkinson, Ray Colliver and Titch Gibson conducted “The Kiwi Hour” over McMurdo radio.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind South- South-East 8 knots Temperature -32.0°C

No comments:

Post a Comment