Week 47. Testing the “Heat Machine”

Monday 26 August 1974

I discussed the problem of the penalty mice with Tony Atkinson who is in touch with feeling amongst the young men of the Base (unlike the graybeards Bill Johnson and me). The feeling was that any penalty system was militaristic, punishment was demeaning, offenders had invariably done more than was expected of them at other times and in such cases if I went to the individual and expressed my disapproval that should suffice. There is also a feeling that I am digging my heels in because to concede anything would be a blow to my ego. I got the two concerned in (Chris Wilkins and Garth Cowan) and having heard their point of view (much as Tony had said) explained that I was required by the Operations Manual to do certain things one of which was to establish routines, they were required to comply with those routines and if they had any complaints there was a procedure for submitting them. I said that unless they completed a penalty mouse I would ring Antarctic Division explaining the position and seeking support. If none was forthcoming I would feel my position to be impossible, would resign and would leave on Winfly. I gave them time to think it over and eventually they came back and said they would accept the penalty. I then felt I could make concessions as I was no longer being dictated to, and said I would discontinue the penalty system in future cases if any. At afternoon tea I told the others of my decision explaining that I felt that a contributory cause of the confrontation was that my advance declaration of the penalty consequent on sleeping in had gradually come to be a challenge. I made it clear that I still intended to do my job but just what I would do if someone again slept in would be my secret until it happened. This was not well received. Apparently they had got the impression that in future cases I would take no action. We chewed the fat for about ten minutes without making any progress. Bill Johnson obviously disapproved of my concession (“It’s how Rome declined” he said). Some others felt I hadn’t conceded enough. Ray Colliver, Stuart Clarke and Les Walker took no stand on the question. The whole incident suggests that the Office-In-Charge should have some weapon with which to apply pressure to comply with the rules which he is directed to enforce. Possibly a system under which he could lodge a formal complaint against any Base member who flaunts his authority, which complaint to be subject, of investigation and action on return to New Zealand under the Public Service Act, might suffice.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North-East 20 knots Temperature -24.6°C

Tuesday 27 August 1974

Chris Wilkins is rewiring the field store. Bill Johnson carried out the fortnightly service of the No2 Caterpillar. I have been enlarging the Biolab fish hole which is now at my disposal. This has been made difficult by a seal which has taken up residence in it. I have also had to make a port firing brush for the incinerator burner. Otherwise normal laboratory and maintenance routines.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North-East 20 knots Temperature -24.6°C

Wednesday 28 August 1974

Today we inserted the heat machine into the hole left to me by the departing USARP biologists. It was quite a job. Four men on the tray of the well deck power wagon raised the heavy end as high as they could. One man backed the wagon towards the hole and up a prepared snow ramp. I guided the boiler tubes down the groove in the ice and through the hole. In about ¾ of an hour we had it swinging in gimbals but when I added CO2 it failed to turn over and the pressures in the boiler and condenser equalized almost at once. Apparently the check valve I have fitted is not working.

Tony Atkinson spent some time rectifying the sea earth of the field mill. This is a wire carried through the tide crack by a lead weight. The laboratory staff is packing the winter’s scientific results.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind Calm Temperature -26.5°C

Thursday 29 August 1974

I added more CO2 to the heat machine today in an effort to get it turning, without success. Tony Atkinson has been endeavouring to trace a fault in the digital solarimeter. Packing scientific results continues.

Wind recorder

Wind Recorder at Scott Base

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind Calm Temperature -24.1°C

Friday 30 August 1974

Today I lifted the gimbals off the heat machine onto a pair of sawhorses so that I could get at the check valve but a great lump of ice had frozen over the valve and I couldn’t break it clear without damaging the valve. Next I tried to melt it off with a blowlamp but even though I got the entire nozzle of the blowlamp cherry red before taking it into the wind as soon as I did so it would cool down and go out. Finally I had to use an acetylene torch.

In the evening we had the departing USARP’s to dinner. Bill Johnson, by the luck of the draw, was once again mouse and took it very badly. Ray Colliver, the most equable of our team became quite cross with him. I mixed and poured the refractory cement for the Tuyere for the incinerator burner. We had two sets of instructions which specified different amounts of water. I used the set which seemed most recent but the results looked very sloppy.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North-North-East 20 knots Temperature -26.8°C

Saturday 31 August 1974

It was quite uncomfortable working on the heat machine today. I also cleaned the snow out of the incinerator once again. In the afternoon several of us attended a talk by Stan Suscowski the Polish exchange scientist with USARP.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North-North-East 20 knots Temperature -28.2°C

Sunday 1 September 1974

I managed to get all monthly returns in by 2100 hours but Titch Gibson closed the Post at midday so they will go on the second aircraft. As Postmaster he can close the mail when he sees fit. I have managed to repair the check valve on the heat machine.

Conditions at 0900 hours Wind North-North-East 15 knots Temperature -30.7°C

No comments:

Post a Comment